Friday 13 August 2010

A Foundation is a good place to start

So today I downloaded the initial information about the course. Freshers week is 20th Sept. There is a Summer project to be getting on with, equipment lists and of course a reading list. So I've been on Amazon and picked up Inigo Walther's 'Art of the 20th Century', 'Teach yourself Art History' in the teach yourself series, the Phaidon 'Art Book' etc. I'm excited and already feeling a bit overwhelmed - so god knows how it will be when the whole thing starts.

Went to the Whitworth Gallery to see the 'Intuition' outsider art exhibit again today. Something inspiring and encouraging about it all. What is it? The fact of untrained artists being recognised? The idea of outsiders? The spontaneous energy of the works themselves? The touch of madness in it all?

Is it possible to be both an 'insider' and an 'outsider'? Or what part of me is in some sense an outsider and in what sense is part of me an insider? And does it matter?

My approach to the forthcoming foundation course: throw myself in, play, work hard, be open to the unknown and the unexpected, have faith in my inherent creative potential, connect, commit and trust in the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.